‘Black Swan’ director Darren Aronofsky offers his advice on working with actors.
- Director/actor relationship is all about trust. They want to know you are doing a good job and will make them look good.
- The worst is when you see an actor acting their heart out, but the film sucks. It ruins them for future projects.
- Work hard to service the story and not just exploit actors
- The money hunt is a pain. Unless you produce clear genre movies, it is hard to secure money.
- Limitations of time, money and energy can be stressful. Indie films have to be shot quickly.
- Films like “Raging Bull” do not get made anymore, because of the rushed timeline.
- The best thing you can bring to the world as a filmmaker is your own story. It must be important to you.
- Mistakes happen when you try to figure out what everyone else likes.
- What you like ends up being what others will like.
- Share your own pain, struggles and victories through your films. That is what we want to see.